Communication is Key

It has come to my attention that a lot of people in my life have a trait similar to that of my pet.

Lady Shania K. is a purebred and has some serious issues.  She is extremely jealous of the cat, so I have to make certain to whisper love songs to Sam Marie behind closed doors. Shania doesn't appreciate my husband sitting close to me on the couch, and would prefer that he move across the room to the recliner. She sleeps in bed with me and stretches out in a manner that forces the husband to the edge of the mattress and pushes the cat off the bed. Shania is a 100 pound dog that makes her presence known.  Although I tell her she's still my baby at age seven, she knows she's the Queen.

She also startles easily (as do I)

She is a happy camper immediately after eating (as am I)

She enjoys her personal space (I can appreciate that)

However, one thing she does that drives me up-the-wall is she will hear me when I call her, but will not listen.  She will make eye contact; take her handsome German shepherd stance; and stay exactly where she is. I can talk to her sweetly; I can promise her a special cookie; I can threaten to throw a stick at her. Still, she will hear me but not listen.

A lot like the husband.  He nods as if he hears me, but he's not actually listening to what's coming out of my mouth.  A lot like my hair dresser that smiles when I tell her I want my hair short/sassy/spiked... then teases it up to Jesus.  Hearing but not really listening.

Sometimes I think why even bother to have a conversation.  People have a filter and want to hear only what they want to.  It makes their lives easy and mellow. Maybe they're afraid if they really listen, they will be devastated by the words.

I am on a quest to find out why people hear you, but don't listen.  A woman can tell a man 'I need you to make me feel wanted' and he goes out and buys her new metallic red blender.  I ask why?  A woman tells her employer she is tired beyond belief and is considering reducing her hours. He takes her to lunch and then piles more paperwork on her desk.  Hello - knock, knock - is anybody there?  You alert the pharmacist that you need enough heart pills to get you through the next fourteen days and he places seven into the bottle.

Again, people make eye contact, take their professional or personal stance, tilt their head like they hear you but they never really listen.  I'm thinking that once I land in Burbank, California I'll keep my head down and not say a word.

But we all know that won't happen. I speak, I listen, I analyze, I learn, I fall, I fail, I write.  And the beat goes on.


NOTE:
I'll be answering my e-mails while on vacation, so feel free to drop me a line in sunny California.