Original Thoughts: Sweet Success
On the front page of our local newspaper (The Daily Inter Lake) there was a blurb about the high unemployment rate here in the Flathead Valley. Last month it was 10.8% and now it is a full percent higher. OMG. That means there are approximately 5,000 folks here in the valley that are unemployed.
I no longer fall into that category.
Last Monday morning I was offered a job that I happily accepted. It's a dream job for the life I'm leading at this time. It's a generous pay rate with an automatic increase in 90 days - it's four days a week - I can participate in their 401(k) plan - I get a paid one week vacation at the end of my first year - and I receive 12 paid holidays throughout the year.
With my previous employment in a hospital setting I was one of the top candidates for the position. I pulled a 5-hour shift last Wednesday and it was the perfect fit (just as I had hoped). The office manager and I have a lot in common being punctual, personable, analytical, anal to an extent. She seems caring and considerate... and I hope she sees me in the same light.
I'll now have a paycheck for 20 hours each week at a mental health facility, in addition to my Girl Friday job as a legal assistant. It's a win-win for our little family and a boast to the checkbook. Also a boast to my ego. Statistics report that middle-aged people looking for employment search for approximately 58 weeks.
NOTE: The typical unemployment benefit checks cover a period of 28 weeks.
I was told I'd have great difficulty in finding a job because of my seasoned age. It was suggested to me that I retire early and just call it a day. But in my heart I knew I had much to offer to an employer. I'm a life long learner and I believe that with hard work and good notes, I can compete with any college Barbie doll in the workplace.
I must be honest and state here that prayer played a large part in my success.
I actually prayed over the envelope I mailed out November 16th that contained my cover letter, resume and two letters of reference. I prayed again while driving over to the interview. I said, "Lord, You have written my Book of Life and You know what path I should be on. I trust that You will place me where I need to be."
There never was a 2nd interview. I did not meet the staff. I was hired because I was RIGHT for the position. God knew it; the Site Supervisor knew it; I knew it. And to that one particular woman (back on August 12) who wished me good luck finding an employer that would offer paid vacations... I say NA-NER NA-NER, kiss my grits.
I no longer fall into that category.
Last Monday morning I was offered a job that I happily accepted. It's a dream job for the life I'm leading at this time. It's a generous pay rate with an automatic increase in 90 days - it's four days a week - I can participate in their 401(k) plan - I get a paid one week vacation at the end of my first year - and I receive 12 paid holidays throughout the year.
With my previous employment in a hospital setting I was one of the top candidates for the position. I pulled a 5-hour shift last Wednesday and it was the perfect fit (just as I had hoped). The office manager and I have a lot in common being punctual, personable, analytical, anal to an extent. She seems caring and considerate... and I hope she sees me in the same light.
I'll now have a paycheck for 20 hours each week at a mental health facility, in addition to my Girl Friday job as a legal assistant. It's a win-win for our little family and a boast to the checkbook. Also a boast to my ego. Statistics report that middle-aged people looking for employment search for approximately 58 weeks.
NOTE: The typical unemployment benefit checks cover a period of 28 weeks.
I was told I'd have great difficulty in finding a job because of my seasoned age. It was suggested to me that I retire early and just call it a day. But in my heart I knew I had much to offer to an employer. I'm a life long learner and I believe that with hard work and good notes, I can compete with any college Barbie doll in the workplace.
I must be honest and state here that prayer played a large part in my success.
I actually prayed over the envelope I mailed out November 16th that contained my cover letter, resume and two letters of reference. I prayed again while driving over to the interview. I said, "Lord, You have written my Book of Life and You know what path I should be on. I trust that You will place me where I need to be."
There never was a 2nd interview. I did not meet the staff. I was hired because I was RIGHT for the position. God knew it; the Site Supervisor knew it; I knew it. And to that one particular woman (back on August 12) who wished me good luck finding an employer that would offer paid vacations... I say NA-NER NA-NER, kiss my grits.