Original Thoughts: I See the Light

Throughout my life I have searched for God in many different fashions. I've tried reading Bible chapters; chanting; meditation; and invited a female minister to make the sign of the cross on my forehead with holy water.

I have studied Christian Science; I have walked to the front of a church with my arms outstretched while saying forgive me, take me. I have sang gospel songs and swayed with the music banging a tamborine. I even attended a religious retreat where all the females wore short-shorts and could not understand why the men followed them around the yard like young white tailed bucks. Hypocrites. Crazies. Clueless.

I believe God is always with us.

He knows what is ahead and in many cases will steer us out of harm's way. In some instances, He will direct us right into the storm. But He knows how it will turn out - let us remember He wrote the script.

I pray; I give thanks; I hold onto hope. Each morning I ask that He guide and protect me. Each morning I ask that He forgive my sins and comfort me. I pray that He heal members of my family and to look down on friends, colleagues, acquaintances and in some cases, people I have never met. It's a tall order. But I believe in His glory.

I do not attend church. I once had a Bible, but mailed it back to my first husband as it had his mom and dad's wedding date written inside. I listen to songs of faith; I stop to enjoy an Easter lilly; I think of family and friends that have passed on and I know they try to guide me the best way they know how. But God is #1. He knows the good, the bad and the ugly and He loves me just the same.

I look forward to Easter Sunday morning when I can give glory to Him in the Heavens and thank Him for giving me so much. He didn't shout; He didn't push me to the left or to the right. He was there all the time - He never left me and never will. A little prayer won't hurt. Try it, you might like it.

I will now step down from the soap box.