Money Bag

Is it true that some folks think that money is the root of all evil? I've read that celebrities report money does not buy happiness. I've listened to neighbors state that a big fat paycheck is not their #1 priority.

So hard to believe.

Today I'm happy as a pig in mud because my husband had $11.95 to purchase my brunch at the local bowling alley. Today I'm tickled pink that I'm wearing a new pair of panties due only to the 3 for $15 sale on Joe boxers at K-Mart. Today I feel like a queen because I'm wearing a leather choker and pendant that I purchased at 30% off the advertised price. And today I'm relieved to see that gasoline is only $2.68/gallon at the corner Conoco station and not $2.79/gallon like it was the other day.

Yes I count my pennies and I'm beside myself if I have five singles in my pocket after paying the household bills. It's the American way. Work hard, work smart and pay your bills on time.

So, yes, I love a bargain. The size 8 black jeans I'm wearing were $10 off one day only. And the movie my hubby bought was in a cardboard bin with a large sign that screamed $5.00 your choice. We buy bird seed on sale. We use coupons for frozen pizza and pot pies. My mascara is old in the tube but I dare not buy a new one because mascara is a luxury.. and maybe I want to get a can of coffee on sale instead.

Challenging times - but also satisfying times. We have learned to live with less. We are putting priorities in order. We no longer count sheep in order to fall asleep - we count coins and small bills.

So today I tip my hat to Moms of all ages, size and color. I think you women rock. You keep the home fires burning and learn to enjoy Hamburger Helper and mac & cheese. You keep the significant other in good spirits, you don't let the kids or neighbors in on the dirty secret of foreclosure. You pray, you laugh, you cry behind closed doors. But no matter the situation, you get it done.

I admire you. And because of you I will take a moment to pat myself on the back because we're all apparently in the same boat.