Magazine Reprint - Author Approved
As I get ready to watch the ball drop in N.Y.C. I'm going to take the easy way out and post a blog entry that was published in the January 2010 issue of MONTANA WOMAN MAGAZINE. I don't cheat often... but I really do want to watch the celebration on Channel 11 and say a fond farewell to 2011.
HERE IT IS THE NEW YEAR and I’ve made an important decision not to make a list of resolutions. Why set myself up for failure? I had the best of intentions: Eat less chocolate, drink less coffee, spend less time in office gossip. Spend more time reading, spend more time exercising, spend more quality time with the spouse. Read one book a month, watch one educational documentary a month, donate time to a person in need once a month. Say I love you to the hubby each day, praise the puppy each day, and remember that I have a cat!! I wanted to write every Saturday, pray every Sunday, and weigh less on the digital scale every Monday morning.
Now, do you get my drift? I became obsessed with setting goals and then would almost kill myself in reaching those goals. I put the gold ring out there and my 58-year old bones and muscles aren’t what they used to be and I injure myself trying to go for the gold. So, this New Year I have “settled” on trying to be kind, gentle and understanding to every man, woman and child. Oh yes, that’s much more realistic.
I AM A SELFISH WOMAN. There I’ve said it. I do better if I have 45 minutes in the morning to wash my hair, apply camouflage mineral make-up, have one cup of good coffee and say a quick prayer to the Lord. I am darn ugly if I don’t have this time to myself. Even if I have seven hours of solid sleep I still need a little time to myself in the morning. It sets the tone for the day.
I also need a little time to myself in the afternoon. Maybe a cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream, a current issue of Writer’s Digest and country music low on the radio.
I also need a little time to myself in the evening. Perhaps one hour of a favorite reality TV show, perhaps one hour reading People Magazine cover-to-cover, and a hot bath full of perky bubbles.
I also need a little time to myself right before bed. Time to scrub my face, time to apply any number of magic moisturizers, and put a dab of Vaseline on my old lady upper lip (having just shaved it.)
Selfish am I – but honest too. I’m a better person with just a little time to myself. But that doesn’t mean I don’t aim to be kind, gentle and understanding towards everybody else in my world. Future articles will tell the tale.
HERE IT IS THE NEW YEAR and I’ve made an important decision not to make a list of resolutions. Why set myself up for failure? I had the best of intentions: Eat less chocolate, drink less coffee, spend less time in office gossip. Spend more time reading, spend more time exercising, spend more quality time with the spouse. Read one book a month, watch one educational documentary a month, donate time to a person in need once a month. Say I love you to the hubby each day, praise the puppy each day, and remember that I have a cat!! I wanted to write every Saturday, pray every Sunday, and weigh less on the digital scale every Monday morning.
Now, do you get my drift? I became obsessed with setting goals and then would almost kill myself in reaching those goals. I put the gold ring out there and my 58-year old bones and muscles aren’t what they used to be and I injure myself trying to go for the gold. So, this New Year I have “settled” on trying to be kind, gentle and understanding to every man, woman and child. Oh yes, that’s much more realistic.
I AM A SELFISH WOMAN. There I’ve said it. I do better if I have 45 minutes in the morning to wash my hair, apply camouflage mineral make-up, have one cup of good coffee and say a quick prayer to the Lord. I am darn ugly if I don’t have this time to myself. Even if I have seven hours of solid sleep I still need a little time to myself in the morning. It sets the tone for the day.
I also need a little time to myself in the afternoon. Maybe a cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream, a current issue of Writer’s Digest and country music low on the radio.
I also need a little time to myself in the evening. Perhaps one hour of a favorite reality TV show, perhaps one hour reading People Magazine cover-to-cover, and a hot bath full of perky bubbles.
I also need a little time to myself right before bed. Time to scrub my face, time to apply any number of magic moisturizers, and put a dab of Vaseline on my old lady upper lip (having just shaved it.)
Selfish am I – but honest too. I’m a better person with just a little time to myself. But that doesn’t mean I don’t aim to be kind, gentle and understanding towards everybody else in my world. Future articles will tell the tale.