Lucky Stars

I must admit that sometimes I enjoy having my own little pity party. Its just me and a pile of household bills and a checkbook that never seems to have a balance over the amount of $25 by end of week. And keep in mind, we are a two-income family so some think we should be sitting pretty. I would love to list all of our monthly bills and publish how much we owe on our respective credit cards, but we're not the only Americans sitting in a sinking ship.

As I stood out on our property this morning watching snow flakes dropping from the Montana Big Sky, I took a moment to give thanks for all that I do have. A comfortable home... although I freak out the first of every month to see how many dollars I can pull from our magic hat. We have food in the refrigerator and venison in the freezer downstairs. Enough money to keep the heat on and my laptop plugged in. Enough money to feed a 100 pound dog and a 14 pound cat. Enough money to put $3.14/gallon gas in two vehicles, one which is paid for. The other is my Jeep and so I freak out again on the 15th of the month to see if I can pull $198 from that damn old magic hat.

We have so much more than others in the state of Montana. My husband works 40 hours a week and his job provides health insurance. I work three days a week at a job where I'm appreciated and my contributions to the Law Firm are recognized. I have a dog that is devoted to me, a cat that will allow me to pet her, and let's not forget the husband. After 23 years of living with me (OCD and a daily antidepressant) he still loves me and wishes to continue to build a future together. Man must be crazy in love.

I could be a woman in her 60's living in a rented mobile home with too many cats and far too much clutter. I could be in an assisted living facility. I could be housed in a halfway house. I could be six feet under. BUT I'M NOT.

I simply need to remember to count my lucky stars and realize that no one but myself can get me to the place where I need to be. I'm not a child anymore, apparently I'm a "responsible" adult. And if that's the case, I need to put big girl panties on, bite the bullet, get back in the saddle and make those paychecks count.

I am woman, hear me roar.