Daughter Dear
As I approached my 20’s I assumed
I would have at least one child. In
fact, the name I had selected was Jennifer
Elizabeth. I started to buy maternity clothes and baby items in the early 70’s, knowing it was only a
matter of time before I became pregnant.
It didn’t matter I was not yet married to the boyfriend – it didn’t matter that I was without health insurance – it didn’t matter that I lived hours away from my family
and friends. Although my significant other stated he didn’t want any children, I threw my
birth control pills away sometime in 1973.
Giving birth was not in the
cards for me. At the age of twenty-three
I underwent a hysterectomy.
At the time of the surgery my female doctor promised us we would be the
first she called if a baby came up for adoption.
One year and one day after my
stay in the hospital, our daughter was born.
We traveled from Squirrel Mountain Valley (located at Lake Isabella, CA)
down a winding two-way road into the Bakersfield area. My new daughter was in my arms at the age of
two hours. Her hair was dark; her lashes
long. She was everything I
had hoped and prayed for. The first song
that came to mind was Joe Cocker’s “You Are So Beautiful” because she was the
perfect child for me. We called her
Melanie Dawn, after the singer Melanie who is known for “I've Got a Pair of Brand New Roller
Skates”. She was born in the year of the bicentennial,
which made the birth even more delightful.
I’m not saying that raising a
daughter is easy. I would be lying to
you if I said our years together were free from drama; tears, arguments; hurt
and disappoints. I was not always the
best mother. I found it difficult to
balance her needs with my career; household bills; relationships, etc. But no matter
what, I always loved her - always wished the best for her.
My daughter has given me three
beautiful grandchildren; the oldest a boy that was born on my birthday. My daughter is strong; sensitive; bright;
realistic; funny; compassionate. She has
a strong work ethic; looks out for the little guy; is passionate; always protective
of her kids and respectful of her elders.
She took the best of her Dad; the
best of her Mom; analyzed and weighed the bad junk and came out as one of the
most balanced young women I know. Without
her I would not be celebrating Mother’s Day, and I certainly would not
be enjoying the flowers and card she sent to my office early
yesterday.
I love her more than the world…and
I know she loves me right back.
Cheers,
Ja'Nee
Cheers,
Ja'Nee