Sixty-Two: Buckle My Shoe

I made a run to the local Walgreens, as its closer than Target and less crowded than WalMart.  At this stage in my middle-age life I realize I have to make a list or I'll forget something important and then have to make another trip.

When I got home and went through the bag I realized it told a story.  There was temporary root color for the silver white streak; gummy vitamins for women that wish for strong bones; night lotion that promised to firm. Next came a tube of sunless tanning lotion for the legs I wish I no longer had to shave.  Then some heavy duty softening cream for my feet. Excedrin migraine tablets for headaches; a bottle of wine to celebrate my birthday and a bag of candy.  The candy was for the office but it was half gone before I got home...blame it on the hot weather. 

Age is simply a number.  Its how you think; how you live; what you eat; what you say. Its humor and forgiveness and hope and adjusting your high expectations.  "It is what it is" and wishing to be young again is a waste of breath, time and energy.  

I enjoy looking back at my terrible teens; confusing twenties; flirty thirties.  I don't mind remembering my forties when I settled into my skin.  Then I hit fifty and there was a bump in the road.  I realized time was no longer on my side and gave some thought to what I wanted to do for the next 30-40 years.  

Sixty came and I blossomed.  Something told me I would make it after all!  Now its two years later and I'm signed on for early retirement.  I look forward to reading more; eating less; writing whenever I want.  I have the short hair cut I want; the Jeep I craved; a lily tattoo planned for August 31.  I can shoot a gun; hook a fish; tell a story; write a book; win a contest or sit on my butt and watch House Hunters or Long Island Medium.

Its freedom that I've always wanted and freedom that I have.  No one is the boss of me (except for the attorney who currently employs me 36 hours a week).  I have my own mind, my own thoughts and I know that I've paid my dues along the way.

I'm as strong as I want to be.  I'm as assertive as I need to be.  Gone are the days when I led a sheltered life - gone are the days when I chose to be silent. Not that I ever enjoyed the song "I Am Woman" but I certainly understand the "hear me roar" part of the lyric.  We have a voice no matter our age.  

Happy trails from Happy Valley, northwest Montana.