In the Kitchen with Sandra Lee

Now that I'm not going into the office 4.5 days each week I find that I have a wonderful amount of free time to do as I please.  Retirement has set me free from the Big "O" and before you get excited or alarmed, the Big "O" I'm referring to is the lack of O.B.L.I.G.A.T.I.O.N. to anyone.

I can stay under the down comforter until 8:00 am if I wish. I'm no longer obligated to set the alarm at 6:15 am and get ready to go to work.  There are no more time restraints; no more deadlines to meet; no more Clients to greet.  
Because I was working 8-5 I had to schedule housework; laundry; bill paying; plant watering; coffee with a BFF all during the short weekend.  With the freedom of retirement I no longer feel obligated to get it all done in one day or two.  I can vacuum one day - dust the next - water the plants while I drink my morning coffee.  I can write out the bills on a Friday night, or meet my friend Marty any day of the week.

If I wish to write a letter or edit a short story or pluck my eyebrows or walk in the snow... I can.  I find myself making meals for the hubby without any resentment or bitterness.  I have no time restraint so making brunch and/or dinner is no big deal.  And he's bright enough to know not to request anything special because I'll shoot him down. If I feel like cooking or cleaning or resting I will. If I'd rather read People Magazine with a cup of hot chocolate and extra whipped cream I can.

Ah, the freedom to be me.

This holiday season I actually made cookie dough from scratch and used vintage cookie cutters to make the treats of my dreams.  There were Christmas trees; bells; stars; rabbits; snowmen; scotty dogs, etc.  It was a joy and something I've never done because I've been working since year 1969.

The cookies were a hit at the office party and I love dunking them into my coffee.  I didn't wear a frilly apron and pearls while in the kitchen, but I did have Christmas music in the background and wild turkeys outside my door.

It feels wonderful to have each day open for new adventures.  And if I don't have the energy or inclination I can pick up a book or journal and be happy knowing I have no obligation other than to please myself.

And maybe that's the true story. Years of trying to please someone in the work place. Always trying to get ahead - always wanting to make a name for myself. I accomplished many things in my long work career, but there comes a time when you look in the mirror and ask is this all there is?

I'm happy with my decision and look forward to a clean (empty) 2014 calendar.  I may travel to California or Arizona or Las Vegas.  Its my life...its my future...its my decision.  

Yes, retirement has set me free from the Big "O" and before you get excited or alarmed, the Big "O" I'm referring to is the lack of O.B.L.I.G.A.T.I.O.N. to anyone.