Semi-Retired Lady Requesting Sleep

I wish I could say I sleep like a baby each evening when my head hits the pillow. I'd like to tell you I sleep as 'hard as a rock' or I fall asleep to the sound of ocean waves. Sadly, that is not the case. The bottom line is I want to sleep like my dog does.

She can lay down behind the couch; under the dining room table; on our bed with no hesitation at all.  She has her kibble; some fresh water; gives us each a nudge and a kiss then she's out like a light.  I watch her face; I listen to her snore; I see her large paws run in place like she's darting through the snow in our yard.  I envy my dog.  

She stretches out; gives a little sigh...then off to dream land. And did I say I envy my dog her ability to sleep?

I turn off the phone; light a candle; fill the tub with hot water and gently guide myself in.  I close my eyes; think happy thoughts and look forward to the new satin pillow cases.  I spritz the comforter with lavender; I make sure my socks are good and warm and then I hit the sheets.

I toss; I turn; I worry; I hear sounds upstairs; the bed creaks.  The cat runs down the hall and lands on my face; the husband gets up to turn off his 2:15 am alarm; the toilet flushes; the cat runs back down the hall. The Montana moonlight streams through the window and blinds me in one eye.  The cat is now sitting on the pillow purring like there's no tomorrow and the bed continues to creak.

The dog sleeps; the cat plays with her tail; the husband is having his first cup of coffee and I have yet to sleep.  Keep in mind I've taken my antidepressant and 10 mg of melatonin in an effort to help me snooze.  I've even considered taking a shot of tequila in order to numb my senses.  But booze is not an option if you have an addictive personality. Sucks to be me!

So I say a little prayer and hug my pillow like a life saving device.  I gently push the cat off the bed and stroke the dog as she dreams.

Before you know it I've drifted off to sleep thinking of gingerbread cookies and hot chocolate. Funny thing though. The dog looks fabulous in the morning and I look like someone pulled me through slush and snow.  Thank goodness for a bag full of make-up to minimize my lack of restful sleep.

I envy my dog.