OCD Is Real to Me
The other evening when my hubby and I were
leaving the house, he said to me, “Are you sure we can go because your kitchen
towel is not hanging straight.” We both laughed out loud, but I realized he had noticed my tendency to embrace O.C.D. [obsessive compulsive disorder]
I’m not one to turn pantry labels all in
the same direction; check the stove an even number of times before bed; wash my
hands eleven times throughout the day; or wear a particular color on a certain
day. I like to say I suffer from a mild
affliction. I like Order - it comforts
me. I enjoy having everything in its
place, from knick-knacks to the ruler on my desk. It calms me; it
centers my core.
Here are some examples of my affliction:
1. Trash cans never full; must empty immediately
2. No fingerprints on bathroom mirrors
3. Towels to hang with tags to the wall
4. Toilet paper dispensers always full; half is unacceptable
5. Kitchen sink spout never to left or right; always centered
6. Chase down dust on living room table daily
OCD does not rule my life, but it’s part
of my daily living. When the pets or hubby drive me nuts I can fall back on order, comfort, and control. I’m no rocket scientist, but I can clearly
tell you it’s a matter of control. Just like my Friday morning weigh-ins at
home, with any gain or loss charted in my handy journal. Ok, maybe I am obsessed - perhaps I lean
toward compulsion, but I don’t let it handicap me. It doesn’t keep Ja’Nee inside the house or
late for an appointment. It’s just
something I do that makes me happy. I’ll not label it a disorder, because it
pleases me and hurts no one.
When did it begin? I think back to my
childhood room and I remember it as neat and tidy, with a hint of dust and
smudges on the dresser mirror. No OCD
there. I fast forward to my hippie days
in Haight Ashbury, and picture a 1-bedroom apartment with a Samsonite card
table for dining, and a single bed serving as the couch. Candles in wine
bottles lined up in perfect fashion; bright kitchen towels hanging perfectly
from the stove handle; sentimental items perfectly displayed
dust-free on my bedroom vanity. Yes, it must have begun in Spring 1971 when my
life was upside down. I had no real job;
lived hours away from family; analyzed my thoughts during daylight hours, and
battled cockroaches at night.
I’m no physician, clearly not a therapist,
but believe OCD is a gift I gave myself when I had no lifeline. I grabbed onto
it to prove to my parents and others that I had my new life under control and
it was a bed of roses. OCD is now a way
of living and coping for me. I am
settled, satisfied, steady when the little things line up in “my” perfect
order. I’m not saying it’s for everyone, and I’m not saying it’s a healthy way
of living. It simply makes sense to
me. Thank goodness my husband and close
friends accept my quirkiness.
The moral to the story is this:
If you see a friend straighten a towel,
empty the trash, take Windex to a mirror, replace the TP, center the faucet
spout, spritz Pledge on the dining room table all before leaving the house,
just smile and say under your breath, “It’s only a mild affliction and it makes
her/him happy.” Then go on your way making certain to count all the brown
stones in the driveway gravel (just joking).