Content Is Where I'd Rather Be
For the most part I enjoy being retired and no longer required to go to a job five days a week. The freedom to plan my day or evening is such a wonderful state of mind. But its not always chocolate and marshmallows - wine and appetizers.
I do much better if I have a project of some kind. Once I complete the task (preferably in the morning) I'm free for the remainder of the day and guilt-free.
These projects range from sorting clothes to flipping the downstairs mattress. I may decide to create a photo album of pets or open my 1968 cedar hope chest and take a look at the memories that still remain in darkness.
I've been known to clean out the pantry; the linen closet; the utility room and two roll-top desks before lunch. Once that's done I can take my People Magazine outside to read or sit in the mediation garden and watch the corn grow.
I actually enjoy balancing the checkbook; dusting collectibles; scrubbing a tub or shaking out the area rugs. I sort, I clean, I organize... then I rest. Yes, I am retired and I enjoy resting. I'm to the point that I believe I'll start taking a nap with the dog in the middle of the day. Why? Because I can.
Boredom rocks my world and not in a good way. I get anxious; I believe I'm overlooking something very important and can't put my finger on it. I want to keep busy, but I want it on my terms. I'm sure the husband could make me a list - but I want to dance to my own drum, not his. Besides, he's nine years younger than me which leads me to believe he's full of energy. I'm not.
The lesson for today is to have something in mind to do each day during retirement. It could be as simple as watering the garden or picking wild huckleberries. You could wash your car; your hair; the dog; the front deck. Write out some bills; read a chapter in a book; write a poem for a contest with no entry fee. Boredom is dangerous for me - it makes me question if I retired too soon.
So a 'To Do List' brings me structure and great joy. And now I can check off the box next to the line that reads update blog.
Happy Trails,
Ja'Nee