Memoir is My Style
Creative nonfiction straddles the fence between fiction and nonfiction; the writer is writing fact, but in a literary way. A compelling memoir will have words of joy and sorrow; frustration and celebration; anger and good fortune.
Once a writer gives fair warning to family members; friends; and former lovers that a memoir is preparing to fly on Amazon.com everyone seems to get a pinched look on their face. Their eyes glaze over; they get lost in thought; all the time wondering what will be written about them. Will it be good, bad or ugly? How far will this "writer" stretch the truth? Please know that I write to understand. And I've discovered that human beings are flawed and limited...as well as wonderful and unique. No one is exactly like anyone else.
Memoirist Abby Mims advises: "Never show anyone something you've written about them, before or after publication."
Memoirist Abby Mims advises: "Never show anyone something you've written about them, before or after publication."
Author Anne Lamott said it best: "If people didn't want to be written about, they should have behaved better."
And to that I wish all a good night.