Janie and Ja'Nee
Its not that I'm eccentric by any means, but I did choose to name my Jeep when I purchased her five years ago. I had wanted one for ten years and could never find the means to purchase it on my own. Either the trade-in price for my Mazda sedan was too darn low...or the payments for the Jeep were too darn high.
Then one day it happened! It was a Sunday when the car dealerships are closed in the Flathead Valley. I drove into the lot and I swear the sun rays were bouncing off a hunter green 2006 Jeep Liberty. The next day I went in to speak to a salesman (aka shark) and told him if he could get me the Blue Book price for my current car and get monthly payments under $200 a month he would have a deal. What took his breath away was I told him it had to be done in less than two hours or no deal. Guess he saw that I meant business and I drove Janie home.
Although her windshield is cracked (hello, it IS Montana) and she's approaching 97,000 miles I love her to death. Driving her down the back roads brings me much pleasure. The day I walked into the bank to make the last payment I could have done a dance but had left my boots at home. She was all mine - no help from family and I thank them for saying GOSH NO when I asked for a loan. The satisfaction that I paid for her each month for five years put a grin on my face.
I love Janie because she has spark and energy. And then I realized, so do I. She doesn't need to go 80 mph to make a point and neither do I. She can look a little rough around the edges but still have fire under the hood. So do I. Some people look at her when she's clean and bright, then smile at the turkey decals on the side window or the Dale Sr. #3 emblem on the rear bumper. Sometimes people smile at my rear bumper before they realize I'm old enough to be their mother.
Age is a matter of mind over matter. To wake up each morning ALIVE to enjoy a new day is a wonderful gift. I love my life and I no longer take it for granted. Each morning I read about people who have died in highway crashes; lost their battle with cancer; or decided to jump off a cliff and call it a day. I'm not ready to see the face of God - although I speak to Him each day.
People ask me why I choose an early retirement. Actually, it choose me. One evening I had a dream that my Aunt Dar (she had passed some years back) sat me down, looked into my eyes and said these three words: "Slow down Sandra." She looked serene; regal; relaxed and obviously concerned. The next morning I started to crunch numbers to see if my husband and I could make it work. It would be tough; challenging; and tight but we knew it would work. Another 'pea in the mattress' was my concern that social security would not be able to pay me if I waited until I was 65, or God forbid, 72. I wish I could say I trust the system and our current president... but I don't hold much hope in promises, promises.
I've been retired for one year now and over the moon with my decision. At my age I'm blessed to have spark and energy. I look forward to many more years on this earth...here in Whitefish...my home of fifteen years.
Happy trails.