Change of Life

I wish someone had told me what happens to a woman's body after she sails through menopause.  We all know The Change can bring emotional turmoil into our lives (in addition to hot flashes) and what appears to be a beard or mustache on our once peaches & cream complexion. 
 
What I wasn't ready for was the thinning of hair on my scalp; chin hairs that sprout like crazy; eyelids that sag; marionette lines on each side of my mouth, and wrinkles shaped like the number 11 between my eyes.
 
The skin on my stomach remains soft, but I find myself purchasing panties that promise to keep the muffin top secure.  My arms are no longer tan or toned and to add insult to injury...my butt has fallen down.  It is now flat as a pancake.
 
The enamel on my straight teeth is not what it use to be, and hand cream does little to bleach the age spots on my hands.  I have nice ankles and strong calves, but the skin on my thighs looks like cold chicken breasts.  IT AIN'T PRETTY.
 
My short-term memory is going downhill, but I remember what a friend said to hurt me 28 years ago.  If I eat anything with too much spice I have to down Tums...and I no longer drink a glass of water or milk before bed.  If I do, I find myself getting up every two hours to empty my bladder.
 
In spite of everything that happens to my body and brain I am tickled pink to be alive - healthy - and wiser than the day I first married in 1970.  Its been a wild and crazy ride, but this Montana woman is not ready to throw in the towel to lay down in a pine box with rope handles.
 
I will continue to move forward and appreciate what the good Lord gave me.  Its so important to keep a sense of humor as you watch your body change year-to-year.  The bottom line is our life is a gift no matter the packaging.
 
Stay well, keep upbeat.