Listen to Your Inner Voice
When life changing events happen around you (i.e. retirement; death of a loved one; accomplishing a task on your bucket list) I think it important to stop a moment and listen to your inner voice.
Sometimes we're so busy spinning circles that we forget to say hello to our spouse; send an email to a friend; eat our vegetables; get to bed early; watch a comedy; give thanks; pluck our eyebrows or shave our legs.
Running around like a chicken with your head cut off is a type of denial. You want to run away from the truth - you can't handle the truth. So we do loads of housework; ride miles on a stationery bike; sleep late with the down comforter up over our heads. We sometimes hope when we have that first cup of coffee that all will be well.
It has taken me one week to get my head on straight since attending (and speaking) at my mother-in-law's celebration of life. Although I wore her pearl and diamond earrings at the event and came home with her Coach bag, wallet and check book cover ITS NOT THE SAME. I miss her phone calls. I miss her laughter; her recipes; her plans to come back to visit us here in Montana.
On the flip side:
She got exactly what she had prayed for - to leave this earth and rejoin the love of her life on the other side of the rainbow. I admire her strength of conviction; I wish I had one quarter of her drive and determination.
I love her and I miss her but I'm back to living my life...without her. I know she's proud of the woman I am. I have no doubt she believes I'm a good wife as she told me that each time we spoke. She said, "You're so good for Jimmy and he loves you more than you will ever know." Each time my husband (her first born son) would speak to her on the phone Virginia would begin with, "Hello son" and at the end of that same call she would end with "I love you son."
A great lady she was and I know she continues to look down on us and our little family here in Whitefish. She will not be forgotten.
Enjoy the view from Heaven and know that we're looking right back at you and Bob with a tear in our eye and a smile on our face.
Loving You Both Always and Forever,
Jim, Sandi, Shania K. and Sam Marie