The Clock is Ticking
I make a point to read through the obituaries in my local newspaper seven days a week. That might sound morbid...but there's a reason behind my madness. In many of the written tributes you will find pearls of wisdom. You learn about their family; their pets; their hobbies; their charitable work in the community. You learn about their military experience; if they liked to do the two-step; if they enjoyed fishing Flathead Lake; perhaps they owned their own business.
I guess I'm looking for tips on how to live to the age of ninety and above. What can I do differently so I may prolong a healthy and happy life. I don't smoke cigarettes; I walk 40 minutes outside when weather permits; I get plenty of sleep; say my prayers like a good woman should. I take time to smell the roses and give thanks to my Creator. I try to be kind, gentle and understanding but at times that can be challenging for any human. I use sun screen; I drink filtered water; try to limit my coffee intake; and not inhale a full Payday candy bar when my hubby turns his back.
I cannot stop my aging process, and yes it sucks. I want to continue striving to be graceful and forgiving. But I know some of these Montana "old timers" had a secret or two to keep them standing tall and moving two steps forward.
To quote World War II veteran Justus Belfield who passed at age 98: "No matter how old you are, you keep going, you put a smile on your face and you just appreciate every day."
In another published tribute the last paragraph reads: "Goodbye is a part of life. It's a very important word to say clearly, gratefully, even tearfully. But it is not the last word in God's vocabulary. Ever."
Because I maintain a diary (have since the age of 12) I write down thoughts which are my truth. The obituaries I read are the lives of others that I continue to find fascinating. Many of these good folks I wish I had met and spent time with. So I will continue to search for my answers and stumble upon their words of wisdom.
Happy Trails.
- Ja'Nee