Albatross

Sometimes you find yourself drifting away from a friend, colleague, good neighbor or family member.  You can't put your finger on it, but a small voice tells you it's time to move away from the bad/sad history of it all.  Its not that you dislike them; its not that you will never ever speak to them again; you wouldn't duck your head and bolt if you saw them walking towards you.  It is the simple fact that you are d.o.n.e.
 
Although you might have tried to bridge the gap by sending them a short email -or- posting something on their FB page -or- mailing them photographs of the good old days -or- delivering a surprise birthday present...you know there is no use putting yourself in their line of fire. Sometimes people don't change as much as we pray for.  'It is what it is' and the person in question is not going to wake up one day kind, gentle, and understanding.  Some folks are happy being bitter and hard and bigoted.  What I'm trying to say is I may love the person with all my heart but I don't like him/her.
 
Last week my BFF shared a word with me.  I looked it up to get the full definition and I love, love, love it.  I am not going to dismiss, nor forget, the person in question - - I am simply going to disengage myself from them.  And that is my thought on this day.
 

Full Definition of DISENGAGE

transitive verb
(1) to release from something that engages or involves
 
intransitive verb
(2) to release or detach oneself: withdraw
 

Examples of DISENGAGE

(1) The two dancers moved together in a series of quick movements before     disengaging and leaping apart.
 
(2) Put the car in gear, and then slowly disengage the clutch while pressing on the gas pedal.
 
(3) If there is a malfunction, the gears will automatically disengage.

Origin of DISENGAGE

French désengager, from Middle French, from des- dis- + engager to engage
First Known Use: 1611
 

Related to DISENGAGE

Related Words