Flowers by Cupid
I believe Valentine’s Day is for the young because they have energy; they promote endurance; they advertise enthusiasm. Their heartbreaks have been few, and expectations not nearly as unrealistic as mine. I want to say bah hum bug to Valentine’s Day, and then I remember I was young once and looked forward to mushy cards, stuffed animals, and dime store chocolates.
I remember all the homemade cards I received in elementary school; although I think the teachers twisted the arms of the little boys. Nevertheless, the cards were small and colorful and innocent. Although I am neither small (a size 8, not a size 4) and far from innocent, I can safely say I’m colorful. For the most part this Montana woman is happy and positive that the economy will improve, the interest rates will go down, and gasoline remains $1.79 per gallon.
I try each day to have FAITH and HOPE. There are some things in this life you cannot change – you may delay paying a household bill or camouflage those “11” lines between your eyes, but sooner or later it’s going to happen. My advice this February 2016 is:
Stand up, look in the mirror, gaze into the eyes of experience and say welcome. Love yourself; your life circumstances; your challenges. Tell fear and pessimism to take a back seat in the bus. I know it’s difficult to wait for the good stuff but it’s out there and coming to you! You may be another year older; there may be an extra five pounds on your frame; you might even want to take a nap to get through the day. But do all in moderation and never give up hope.
Women are like chocolates - some are sweet; some are nutty; some with sprinkles. There are women you want to spend an entire day with, others just a quick cup of coffee and be gone with them. Basically we’re a wonderful variety of flavors.
So this year don’t wait for Mr. Right or Ms. Right to purchase a Hallmark card and dark chocolate Dove truffles. Go buy yourself a pair of big girl red panties; get a bunch of inexpensive flowers at the supermarket; buy something that sparkles and tell yourself:
I’m not old, tired, and ready to burn out. Although there’s snow on the roof, there’s heat in my belly.