March Will Be Marvelous

Now that the stomach flu and head cold have left my home in Whitefish, I'm looking forward to new adventures in March!  I'm excited to report that I will be participating in a weekly Tai Chi class at the Whitefish Community Center, formerly known as the Golden Agers.  The morning class is free to those over sixty; the classes are small; and the center is five miles from my house.

I'm also back on my Weslo treadmill and will start walking with two lady friends...as soon as all the snow has melted.  But what tops my March news is that I'm playing in an 'informal' golf tournament with all proceeds going to the care of animals, big and small.

Please note that I DO NOT golf, nor do I have clubs, driver or putter.  I played miniature golf back in 1990 and actually had a hole in one.  I was drinking a lot of fine champagne and I think my loose-goose demeanor helped me put the ball where it needed to be.  Nevertheless, I am here to broaden my horizons. This tournament is out in a field, surrounded by snow berms, with a chili lunch and silent auction.  Its fun, not competitive, its for the animals.

I thought briefly of doing a gentle yoga, but I (a) don't have the correct duds and mat and (b) I'd rather not be obligated to hold a certain pose 1-2 minutes while trying to think happy thoughts.  Tai Chi is my choice. I watched videos of senior Japanese folks doing this in an outdoor auditorium and I immediately thought...hell, I can do that.

It's never to late to learn!  I could be a couch potato, eat Cheetos and Dove candies, not give a rat's ass about my weight.  But I'd rather not fall down that rabbit hole - in the dark, looking up to the light of day, and watching other people thrive, learn and live.  So I'm here to say that although I'm an old dog, this one can (and will) learn new tricks.

I have three months to get in shape prior to my trip to Southern California.  I hope to be toned, relaxed, positive, and my face slightly tanned by the early NW sun.

Happy Trails to All.

 - Ja'Nee