Holiday Memories Never Leave You
One of my fondest memories is a particular Christmas that my Grandma and Grandpa spent with our family on Wystone Street. Grandma would be making a tremendous amount of noise in the kitchen preparing home made rolls, stirring a pan of gravy, chilling cranberry sauce, mashing potatoes and checking on pies. Of course my mother was right in there with her, and what a team they made. The two of them would be drinking warm eggnog with booze in it. I proudly continue their tradition.
Grandma came out of the kitchen and said: "Sandi and Robby, I think I hear Santa on the roof. You better run outside to see what the racket is." And we actually did hear noises and bells and we ran through the front door and down the lawn onto the sidewalk. Nothing on the roof, nothing in the street, just our Christmas lights shining beacons down busy Victory Boulevard.
We stepped back into the living room and low and behold, we each had one gift under the tree. Obviously Santa came around the back of the house (careful not to trip over the diving board, fall into the swimming pool or be bitten by our dog Tammy). He came in the back door...through the small dining room...invisible to Mom and Grandma and left the gifts there.
I have no idea of what my brother received Christmas Eve. Could have been a truck or plastic cars or pens and construction paper. It could have been clothes or a board game or Bozo the Clown or Smokey Bear. I was falling all over myself to get to my stunning Polly Anna doll.
She was sitting there (looking purr-fect) in a red and white checkered dress with matching pantaloons and a big straw hat. Her hair was the color of yellow gold and her complexion peaches and cream. She was the most beautiful doll I had ever seen.
I was speechless--which was surprising because I always had something to say. Of course, no one in the family really listened to me and that's why I became a writer. I could have long conversations on paper. Chuckle, chuckle.
Nevertheless, in spite of one Christmas gift being delivered early, my younger brother and I knew Santa would just have to come back with the rest of the loot. So we placed cookies on a platter for him and carrot sticks for his reindeer. We didn't dream of sugar plum fairies that evening, we tossed and turned and prayed to God we would get everything we put on our list.
We were never disappointed. Santa was good to us and we sometimes wonder where the heck that bearded man with the soft beard and dancing eyes went? We then remember he's in our heart, and the wonderful memories we have of Christmas will never leave us.
Happy holidays to all.