Labels Suck
My forever goal is to be slender, which in my mind is healthy and attractive. Skinny to me is something I would be concerned about. I'd rather not have sunken cheekbones and hips that stand at attention.
Over a period of years I can tell you (hand on Bible) that I've weighed 118 pounds to 181 lbs. I know what my body looks like small and big. I'm also aware of the games the mind plays when standing on a digital scale. I continue to refuse to wear anything sleeveless, and my denim shorts are worn in the yard while I'm hiding from the neighbors. It may be true that I have serious (sick, sad) issues with my body image -- but hell -- doesn't every woman? Maybe not and more power to them.
Who can a person blame? Television; People magazine; Playboy; the CMA's? I did a little snooping on the Internet and found the descriptions listed below. I found them to be fascinating and thought provoking. If you're happy with your body (head-to-toe) skip the rest and head to the next blog.
Thin
Thin is an adjective that is the opposite of thick and used for people who are frailer than average. There are women who are happy to be referred to as thin by men and women. One who is thin does not have fat on her/his body.
Slim
Slim is the most desirable adjective, as it is perceived as a compliment. The term 'slim' goes very well with fit and healthy, and it is the ideal figure to achieve for most people, especially women. If you are being called slim in your circle of friends, you can feel happy about it as others think of you as having an attractive figure.
Skinny
Emaciated and bony have negative connotations. Women do not like to be labeled skinny by men, as the adjective makes them appear unattractive in the eye of the opposite sex. Do not call a woman skinny if you do not want to appear rude! Skinny men and women can be distinguished from the rest, as they appear to be taller than they are because of their built.
Slender
Slender is a word that is used for ladies with a frail figure. These women are in contrast to thick or obese women, and the adjective is taken as an appreciation of the figure or the body of the person. When a person, especially a woman, is labeled slender, it is understood that she is being praised for her figure and is considered attractive. Long and slender is a phrase that is most often used for the legs of a woman. Slender is a term that connotes sexiness.
Lean
Lean is the adjective used for someone who is fit and healthy. It is the opposite of fat and is used mostly for people with athletic body. A lean figure is what is desired by most people. Someone who is looking fit and strong is often referred to as lean.
Summary:
Of the five adjectives, lean, slender, slim, and thin are not considered negative, but no one likes to be called skinny as it has a negative aftertaste. If anything, slender and lean are considered as praises -- while thin is rather neutral in connotation.
Lean and slender are terms that are desirable, but few would like to be called thin, and nobody likes to be labeled skinny. Being referred to as slim is the ultimate desire of most women, as they know they are at their attractive best when they are perceived as slim.
*excerpts from differencebetween.com