A Celebration of Sorts

Today is my husband's 58th birthday and he has taken calls from his Uncle Brad, brother Anthony, best friend Bud and former work partner Parker. He has opened gifts, read cards, tucked birthday cash away.

Today will be full of fun, cake, candles, a steak and shrimp dinner with red velvet cake for dessert. But today we both feel the loss of his Mom -- we deeply miss her and realize her groundhog birthday is just days away.

We wish she were here with us in Montana, or at least on the telephone or perhaps we're reading the sentimental birthday card she would typically mail to her oldest every January 29th.

On December 6, 2014 I lost a friend, someone who I could confide in. I had no filter when we spoke on the phone, and could be 100% honest when sitting on the corner of her bed talking for hours at a time.

We spoke about our men, our children and grand children. We talked openly about our childhoods and would laugh about chin hairs and tummies that were no longer firm. We talked about love, companionship, loss, anger and forgiveness. Virginia was far more than a relative; Virg was my best friend.

We spoke about Heaven and those that would greet us on the other side. We talked about Angels -- we each firmly believe in Angels. Virginia was generous to a fault. She lived and loved large. 

Virg was opinionated -- direct -- sometimes brutally honest. She was fun to be with and loved being in the kitchen with her home filled to the brim with family. Virginia didn’t shy away from drama. We enjoyed spending time together and we knew when to back off and change the subject.

When I find myself missing my friend, I think of her and husband Bob dancing across the clouds and smiling down on those they left behind. At that moment I know that she is without pain and at peace.


Virginia Lee Montez (Bellissimo)
February 2, 1943 - December 6, 2014