Fright of My Life

This morning I made the bed, took the dog out and went to get our daily paper in 21 degree weather. Quickly came back into the house, took off my heavy jacket, unwrapped the scarf and put the wool gloves away. I then made the mistake of looking into a mirror. 

My hair looked like a bird's nest and the eyelids were dipping dangerously low. My eyes were rimmed in red making my hazel peepers look that much greener. The double chin almost nonexistent, but my turkey neck was there in its full glory. No matter what angle I selected my face appeared to crinkle, wrinkle, buckle and droop. What happened to my face -- its called gravity.

Each day I make an effort to cover the age spots and I tease my hair to give the illusion that it's thicker than it really is. I use almost a half bottle of eye drops and attempt to give myself cheekbones with a bronze highlighter. 

To boost my spirits I made the drive to Star Bucks and ordered salted caramel mocha coffee and a piece of banana bread. I gave the pleasant woman at the counter the correct amount of change and told her sometimes a retired woman needs a little spoiling. She looked at me and said this, "I'm fifty-four and you look better than I do. What's your secret?"

I smiled, handed her a $5.00 tip and replied, "Sometimes what you see in the mirror is not what you think. Thank you for making my sad morning an outstanding day."