Baby Dog
I learned that it's impossible to determine precisely when another being's life is too compromised to go on, and that a long and enviable health span can't save a good dog from a bad death. Maybe even a good death is pretty bad. Life is worth it; its absence is unfathomable.
And now that I'm no longer young, and he's dead, I'll do my best to follow the path Foghat blazed into my life's last half. This is sound medical advice -- Everything you do for a dog to help them age well, you should do with them.
Eat the best food you can afford. Go for a walk, even if its raining. Take a lot of naps. Keep your teeth clean and your breath fresh, so that the people you lick will not flinch. And when someone you love walks in through the door, even if it happens five times a day, go totally insane with love.
Excerpt from 2012 The End of the Road
In Memory of Lady Shania K. Bellissimo, S.K.D.
February 5, 2006 to January 11, 2019
